Thursday, January 12, 2012
Pants with Side Stripes
Yet another pair of pants (and again from the Sandbox Pants pattern) for A, who busted his knee through his favorite pair of pants last week. I cut them from a pair of sweatpants in my sister's bag of clothes to be donated, and added the red stripes and pocket lining (leftovers from these pants). I cut about an inch below the sweatpants waistband so that I'd have room to sew it to the new pants, and then sewed right up against the elastic.
I did some thinking, and came up with an easy way to do stripes down the sides of pants (sorry, no pics).
BEFORE sewing pants, do this:
1) Cut a strip of fabric 2" x length of outer seam of pants
2) Fold the strip in half with WRONG sides together; iron flat
3) Place the strip between front and back pieces of pants, matching all raw edges (you'll have four raw edges to sew together: pant front, 2 edges of stripe, pant back). Pant pieces are right sides together, strip is inside them. Sew.
4) Turn the pants right side out, and the strip will be a flap. Iron it down flat, and then sew the loose edge (should be the folded edge) of it down to the pants. (I sewed it toward the back of the pants, since I had pockets in the front, but otherwise I don't think it matters which direction it goes.)
5) Stripes are done, now finish sewing your pants. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment